This page contains resources on topics surrounding the broad category of administration. Topics include best practices, financial planning, marketing, and management.
- Core Standards for Leadership and Organization – American Alliance of Museums
- This is one of the topics listed under the Core Standards on the Ethics, Standards, and Professional Practices page.
- With bulleted lists and brief descriptions, these standards relating to leadership and organizational structure serve as key reminders to ensure high quality, professional, and effective practices.
- Building Better Budgets – Technical Leaflet – AASLH
- The content in this leaflet is highly accessible for those learning to budget on an organizational level for the first time.
- Questions posed in the leaflet seem like they would be especially helpful, not only for beginners but as a refresher for seasoned budgeters as well.
- Beginning with an emphasis on the time and effort needed for an accurate budget, the authors explain other keys to budgeting including transparency, good data, software, basic terms, and flexibility.
- Cost: $5 for non-members
- Improving Financial Management – Technical Leaflet – AASLH
- The content in this leaflet is helpful for both those learning about financial management for the first time and for those with more experience for the basics for improving and assessing their financial situation.
- This leaflet provides overviews of the technical information involved in financial planning including: internal and external financial reports, reading budget reports, improving and assessing financial performance, and cash flow projections.
- The authors also emphasize the importance of checks and balances and the assistance a board can provide.
- Cost: $5 for non-members
- Scope of Collections Statement – Example
- This PDF created by the California State Railroad Museum provides a clearly written and formatted example of a Scope of Collections Statements (SOCS).
- It clearly demonstrates the importance of understanding a museum’s collection in terms of its broader mission, and exemplifies how to indicate this in writing.
- Sections this SOCS includes are: Purpose, Mission, Vision, Collection History and Summary, Core Values and Interpretive Focus, Collection Development, Criteria, Geography, Ownership of Originals, Sustainability, Limitations, Partnerships, and Review.
- Can Museums be All Things to All People?: Missions, Goals, and Marketing’s Role by Neil Kotler & Philip Kotler
- From two authors with marketing specialties, this 17 page article aims to convince readers of marketings place at the heart of successful visitor engagement.
- While some suggestions may seem a little out there, the authors do provide some interesting insight into marketing tips, tricks, tools, and strategies.